Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, said yesterday on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that buying single-family homes is such a great investment right now, if it were practical, he’d buy a couple hundred thousand of them. Given how low rates are for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgages (3.95 percent, according to the Freddie Mac Mortgage Index), Buffett told CNBC’s Becky Quick that homes, held over the long term, provide a better investment than stocks. If you factor in that prices in some areas are at a 10-year low and inventory levels are high, the conditions are ideal for buying.
While the “Omaha Oracle” has been right about a lot of investments, his opinion on housing hasn’t always been on the mark. At last year’s annual Berkshire Hathaway meeting, he said 2011 was going to be the year that housing prices were going to rebound. In a letter to his shareholders sent last weekend, he apologized for being “dead wrong.” He explained his belief that housing is a sound investment at least in part the inventory of new homes isn’t growing at a rate that will satisfy future demand. People living with their in-laws to save money, he quipped, will find that attractive for only so long.
You have to give Buffett credit for putting his money where his mouth is. Home Services of America Inc., a Berkshire Hathaway Affiliate, is one of the largest independent residential real estate and settlement servicing companies in the U.S. While Buffett wouldn’t comment completely on Berkshire Hathaway’s stake with each of the banks, the fund actively invests in them. He says if he could own only one bank stock right now, it would be Wells Fargo.
By JONATHAN LANSNER
Every two weeks, Steve Thomas of ReportsOnHousing.com publishes a study of the supply of local homes for sale. Here’s what the latest report — as of November 10 — details about Huntington Beach …
- By Thomas’s math, this community has a “market time” (months in would take to sell all inventory at current pace of new escrows) of 3.32 months vs. 3.70 months found two weeks earlier vs. 4.32 months seen a year earlier. Countywide, latest market time was 3.27 months vs. 4.18 months a year ago.
- So, homes in this community sell — in theory — in 1% more time than the countywide pace.
- Of the homes listed for sale in this community, 172 were either foreclosures being resold or short sales, where sellers owe more than the home’s value. So distressed properties were 31.0% of supply of homes for sale vs. 36.6% countywide.
- Homes for sale in Huntington Beach represent 5.8% of Orange County inventory — and 4.9% of all the distressed homes listed for sale in Orange County. New escrows here are 5.7% of all Orange County’s new pending sales.
Compare these trends to countywide patterns:
- Cities with highest level of distressed properties among their listings? Portola Hills was tops — 75.0% — followed by Rancho Santa Marg. at 68.9% of listings and Ladera Ranch at 66.7% of listings.
- Fewest? Corona Del Mar was tops — 3.8% — followed by Seal Beach at 5.2% of listings and Laguna Woods at 7.6% of listings.
Read this article from the OC Register for more details on how the city and area will be celebrating with the little leaguers.
The parade will begin on the 500 block of Main Street at Acacia at 3 p.m. The route will travel down Main Street ending at Pier Plaza.
This is a must read for anyone looking to invest and take advantage of the low interest rates and prices that have dropped significantly over the past few years. Click the link below for the full list!
10 best cities to buy a rental property
Low home prices and relatively strong rents are expected to make real estate investors in these cities some healthy profits over the next few years.
Its finally here! The grand opening of the stunning Villas at Pacific Shores. Quickly register on our site at www.LiveHBLifestyle.com to get inside scoop and more details about these amazing homes. Today from 11-1 there will be food, drinks and great music at The Villas but you must register first! These are amazing homes steps to the ocean that you must see. Stop by today after registering at www.LiveHBLifestyle.com.
The Villas are opening soon at Pacific Shores. Register today to be one of the first to view this amazing homes! Just go to www.livehblifestyle.com and click on button on the top right to Join Jody Cleggs Interest List. Register today for a viewing, updates and more info on The Villas!